The Christians also Broke their Covenant with Allah
In ayah 14 Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala talks about the Christians. A promise was taken from them as well however they broke it. As a punishment enmity was caused between them and this enmity will continue right about the Last Day.
Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala said,
وَمِنَ الَّذِينَ قَالُواْ إِنَّا نَصَـرَى أَخَذْنَا مِيثَـقَهُمْ
“And from those who call themselves Christians, We took their covenant…”
What does Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala mean by saying “those who call themselves Christians”?
This means that the true Christians were those who accepted the message of Eesa aalyhi salaam and took him to be the Prophet of Allah and not His son [a’uthoobilah]. There were only hawariyoun or his disciples who helped him in spreading the message that were true Christians.
Those who claim they are Christians, a covenant was taken from them to follow the Prophet, aid him, honor him and follow his footsteps. And that they would believe in every Prophet whom Allah sends to the people of the earth. However, they imitated the Jews and broke the promises and the pledges. This is why Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala said,
فَنَسُواْ حَظّاً مِّمَّا ذُكِرُواْ بِهِ فَأَغْرَيْنَا بَيْنَهُمُ الْعَدَاوَةَ وَالْبَغْضَآءَ إِلَى يَوْمِ الْقِيَـمَةِ
“but they have abandoned a good part of the Message that was sent to them. So We planted amongst them enmity and hatred till the Day of Resurrection…”
As a punishment for their breaking the promise with Allah, enmity and hatred was planted between them which will continue until the Day of Resurrection. Indeed, the numerous Christian sects have always been enemies and adversaries of each other, accusing each other of heresy and cursing each other. Each sect among them excommunicates the other sects and does not allow them entrance to their places of worship. The Monarchist sect accuses the Jacobite sect of heresy, and such is the case with the Nestorians and the Arians. Each sect among them will continue to accuse the other of disbelief and heresy in this life and on the Day when the Witnesses will come forth. Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala then ends this ayah by saying,
وَسَوْفَ يُنَبِّئُهُمُ اللَّهُ بِمَا كَانُواْ يَصْنَعُونَ
“and Allah will inform them of what they used to do.”
This is a warning for the Christians because of their lies against Allah and His Messenger and their false claims about Allah, hallowed be He above what they say about Him. The Christians attribute a companion and a son to Allah, while He is the One and Only, the All-Sufficient, Who neither begets nor was He begotten, and there is none like unto Him.
– Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala took a covenant from every Ummah that they must fulfill that they have been commanded. He took a covenant from the Jews, the Christians and the Muslims. Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala didn’t send His commands to ignore them, put them behind our ways, mock them, but to “implement” them. We can’t say, “O yes! I know the commands of Allah but I am not going to follow them.” We must to change our behavior towards His commands.
– Neglecting the haq of Allah leads to enmity and hatred. Sometimes we are worried at the disunity between the Muslim Ummah. Sometimes in our homes they are unending arguments and disagreements between husband and wife, in-laws, parents and children, between siblings, what is this? This is due to neglecting the rights of Allah. Not fulfilling the commands that we are supposed to fill.
– When we delay the right deed it becomes more difficult for us to accept it. Sometimes we say I’ll study Qur’an when I have finished school. Sometimes sisters say we will cover our heads after we get married. Brothers say they will grow their beards after they get a job and are settled. On the contrary, if we accept a command right away the easier it becomes to accept it. When we do one good thing, the next good thing becomes easier too. And when we neglect it, it becomes tough for us.
– When people honor the haq of Allah, their hearts soften and their love and harmony between them.
– There is severe warning for those who neglect the haq of Allah. He will inform them very soon about what they used to do.
Therefore, dear Muslims abandon the hatred and enmity between one another and submit to the commands of Allah. Don’t wreck your akhirah for this temporary world.