The Person who Pursues the Pleasure of Allah, Allah will Guide him
Talking about the characteristics of Qur’an Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala says,
يَهْدِى بِهِ اللَّهُ مَنِ اتَّبَعَ رِضْوَانَهُ سُبُلَ السَّلَـمِ
“By which Allah guides the one who pursues His approval to the ways of peace.”
A person whose goal is to get the approval of Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala, He will guide him through the Qur’an towards the ways of peace. What are these ways of peace? Subul is the plural of the word sabeel which is a spacious path or way on which it is easy to walk on.
Subul us-salaam means a way that will lead a person to peace and safety in this world and the Hereafter.
These ways are arkaan-ul-Islam, the commands or laws of Islam. A person who becomes Muslims submits to Islam, he follows the pillars of Islam. Through these pillars he can lead a peaceful life in this world and the Hereafter.
For a Muslim it is compulsory to offer Salah and pay Zakah and go for Hajj when he is in a capacity to do so, but if he doesn’t do that despite being healthy and wealthy this is no acceptable. He cannot enter Jannah. The Subul-us-Salaam is the Shariah of Allah, one has to abide by it.
How does Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala guide through the Qur’an? When a person does not know what to do can he follow the commands? No. Therefore, through this Qur’an a person learns the way to Jannah. Secondly, when a person accepts the teachings of Qur’an, Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala gives him the taufeeq to implement these commands as well. Every person is not given the ilm or taufeeq to implement the commands of Allah. Who gets this favor? The one who seeks Allah’s pleasure.
وَيُخْرِجُهُمْ مِّنِ الظُّلُمَـتِ إِلَى النُّورِ بِإِذْنِهِ وَيَهْدِيهِمْ إِلَى صِرَطٍ مُّسْتَقِيمٍ
“and He brings them out of darkness by His permission unto light and guides them to a straight path.”
He thus saves them from destruction and explains to them the best, most clear path. Therefore, He protects them from what they fear, and brings about the best of what they long for, all the while ridding them of misguidance and directing them to the best, most righteous state of being.
There are many types of darknesses such as laziness, sins, ignorance, disbelieve, biddah, ghaflah, heedlessness, following desires. When a person is in these darknesses he cannot do what he is supposed to do. He is instead always harming himself.
– Hidayah is only in the hands of Allah. Allah guides whom He wills. Therefore, if we truly desire guidance we should ask Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala.
– Every single person if he pursues the pleasure of Allah then Allah will certainly guide him to the Qur’an. And if a person whose goal is something else, then Allah will not guide such a person. We must have a desire to please Allah. Some of us might have experienced in our lives that we had this intense desire to be guided or please Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala then He made it possible for us even though we had been distanced from the Qur’an. This is a favor of Allah that He gave us the taufeeq. Alhumdulillah.
– A person who holds on to the Book of Allah, then He guides them to the way of peace. Jubair radhiAllahu anhu narrated that the Prophet sallAllahu aalyhi wa sallam said, “Rejoice! For verily, this Qur’an – one part of it is in the Hands of Allah, and the other part is in your hands. Therefore hold on to it, for you will never be destroyed, nor will you ever go astray after it!” [Musnad Ahmed]
– A person who follows the commands of Allah, he will be at peace. He will feel secure. These are the pillars of Islam. Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala says in Surah Yunus ayah 25, “And Allah invites to the Home of Peace and guides whom He wills to a straight path.” So if a person says I refuse to follow the commands of Allah or shows this through his action, this means this person is choosing disaster for himself.
– There are many ways that lead to Jannah. There are five pillars of Islam. Now if a person invents something and says this is the path of Jannah, he won’t be successful.
– We must analyze what Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala has given us and how are we utilizing it. If He has given us intellect should we only learn about stars, trees, fashion, beauty, food, gadgets and technology? No, we should use the intellect to understand the message of Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala, to study His deen. Similarly, if one of us is an eloquent speaker should he keep talking all day to amuse people, to become the center of attention, to make people his fan? No, he should utilize this ability to spread the message of Islam, use his speaking skills to convey the commands of Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala.
Any ability that you have been given try to use that ability to pursue the pleasure of Allah.
– The person who pursues the pleasure of Allah, he will be guided to the ways lead to Jannah. He will learn what he needs to do and he will also be given taufeeq to do that as well. There are many people who study the Qur’an but they don’t get the taufeeq to implement it. Why? There is a problem with the intention, their goal. If one truly wishes to please Allah only then he will be guided. When he sets this as his goal, then he will be taught what to do, and also be given taufeeq. Subhan’Allah, Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala will teach and train you Himself!
Don’t waste your abilities and talents on useless things. Your time is precious, utilize it wisely.