The Revelation of Qur’an Only Adds to the Transgression and Disbelief of the Jews
Moving on, it was said that the people the Messenger of Allah sallAllahu aalyhi wa sallam is dealing with are contumacious people. They refuse to benefit from the clear words of Qur’an revealed to him. instead, their disbelief in and denial of the truth keeps getting more hardened.
وَلَيَزِيدَنَّ كَثِيراً مِّنْهُم مَّآ أُنزِلَ إِلَيْكَ مِن رَّبِّكَ طُغْيَـناً وَكُفْراً
Verily, the revelation that has come to you from your Lord makes many of them increase in rebellion and disbelief.
Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala is saying that the bounty that comes to you, O Muhammad, is a calamity for your enemies, the Jews and their kind. The more the revelation increases the believers in faith, good works, and beneficial knowledge, the more the disbelievers increase in envy for you and your Ummah, the more they increase in Tughyan — which is to exceed the ordained limits for things — and in disbelief — meaning denial of you. Allah said in Surah Fussilat ayah 44,
قُلْ هُوَ لِلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ هُدًى وَشِفَآءٌ وَالَّذِينَ لاَ يُؤْمِنُونَ فِى ءَاذَانِهِمْ وَقْرٌ وَهُوَ عَلَيْهِمْ عَمًى أُوْلَـئِكَ يُنَادَوْنَ مِن مَّكَانٍ بَعِيدٍ
Say: “It is for those who believe, a guide and a healing. And as for those who disbelieve, there is heaviness (deafness) in their ears, and it is blindness for them. They are those who are called from a place far away.”
Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala said next,
وَأَلْقَيْنَا بَيْنَهُمُ الْعَدَاوَةَ وَالْبَغْضَآءَ إِلَى يَوْمِ الْقِيَـمَةِكُلَّمَآ أَوْقَدُواْ نَاراً لِّلْحَرْبِ أَطْفَأَهَا اللَّهُ
We have put enmity and hatred among them till the Day of Resurrection. Every time they kindled the fire of war, Allah extinguished it.
Since they didn’t agree on the truth and opposed and denied the Messenger of Allah, sallAllahu aalyhi wa sallam, their hearts will never be united. Their various groups and sects will always have enmity and hatred for each other. Every time they try to plot against the Messenger in particular or the Muslims in general, Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala extinguishes it and makes their plots turn against them.
وَيَسْعَوْنَ فِى الاٌّرْضِ فَسَاداً وَاللَّهُ لاَ يُحِبُّ الْمُفْسِدِينَ
….and they (ever) strive to make mischief on earth. And Allah does not like the mischief-makers.
It is their habit to always strive to cause mischief on the earth, and Allah does not like those with such behavior.
– When a person says something incorrect about another then it falls upon him only. For example, when a person makes du’a against another person that O Allah take their rizq away. If Allah knows that person is not deserving of such a du’a, the du’a is accepted for the one making that du’a. The Jews said Allah is stingy, Allah made them stingy. The Jews said Allah is niggardly, Allah made them niggardly. Such a person also earns Allah’s lanah.
– Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala is the Most Generous. His Hands are out-stretched meaning He is bestowing us all the time. This means that we should only ask from Him and not mentioned our needs to others or complain about what we lack with others. He knows who deserves what. We are no one to object.
– Some people do not benefit from the Qur’an. This does not mean that there’s problem in Qur’an, rather it’s the reader who is unable to comprehend. For example, if there’s a diabetic person and we serve him extra sweet cheesy cake would it benefit him? No, the person is not fit for such a diet. Similarly, for some people Qur’an is shifa and du’a, while for others it becomes an ailment. It increases them in kufr because of how they take Qur’an.
Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala says in Surah at-Tawbah ayah 124 – 125, “And whenever a surah is revealed, there are among the hypocrites those who say, “Which of you has this increased faith?” As for those who believed, it has increased them in faith, while they are rejoicing. But as for those in whose hearts is disease, it has [only] increased them in evil [in addition] to their evil. And they will have died while they are disbelievers.”
By reading Qur’an some people’s emaan is strengthened. They become more conscious about their day to day dealings. While to some people it makes no difference.
– The Jews apparently seem courageous, but they are very weak.
– Disunity is a punishment. Today, if Muslims are disunited we cannot say it’s a mercy of Allah, rather it’s a punishment. We need to reflect on ourselves why we have reached this state.
May Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala enable us to take benefit from the Qur’an aameen.