Shaytan Makes Things Attractive
In the previous ayat, we studied that Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala sends minor calamities on people in order to admonish and give them a wakeup call. Reminders make people turn back to their Creator and not live a heedless life. This is nothing but a mercy of Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala.
In the current ayat, we learn about those who do not benefit from the reminders. Talking about them Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala says,
It is natural that a person turns to Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala when in distress, even if the person doesn’t pray otherwise. However, there are some people who despite being afflicted by hardship do not shed a tear or budge. The reason Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala states is the hardness of their hearts. a soft-hearted person would immediately shed tears when struck by a calamity or seeing someone else in pain but people that are callous or hardhearted are not affected by anything. They don’t humble themselves before Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala. They don’t turn to Him for help.
It is natural that a person turns to Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala when in distress, even if the person doesn’t pray otherwise. However, there are some people who despite being afflicted by hardship do not shed a tear or budge. The reason Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala states is the hardness of their hearts. A soft-hearted person would immediately shed tears when struck by a calamity or seeing someone else in pain but callous people are not affected by anything.
They are being reproached that how come when the punishment came upon them they did not humble themselves before Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala. Why did they not turn to Him for help?
A hardhearted person no matter what he goes through doesn’t let his ego break. He doesn’t even think about praying to Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala or reflecting on his actions. This displays an act of shirk, defiance and rebellion because Shaytan has made their situation or deeds attractive for them. Even if they realize that what they are doing is wrong, they don’t want to change.
– The purpose behind sending calamities is humility. This allows us to reflect on ourselves. We often say it’s because of other people. They are unfair to us. But why did Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala allow others to hurt us? There IS a reason behind it!
Whenever we face any problem we should reflect on our deeds. When everything is beautiful in our lives we are lost in the pleasures of this world. But when people leave us, we lose things or are suffering through some other way, nothing satisfies us besides being in the company of Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala.
Adversity comes to detach us from dunya, to cleanse our hearts from the love of this world.
– Our heart, our conscience pokes us when we do something wrong. The ability to reflect and realize our mistake comes from a conscious heart. On the other hand, there are people that find justifications for their wrongdoings or unlawful pleasures. That’s the sign of a hard heart.
– When the eye doesn’t weep, heart doesn’t shudder with pain or fear, arrogance doesn’t break, that’s a sign of a hard heart. Holding anger or resentment in our heart indicates, we are not pleased by the Decree [Qadr] of Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala. Instead of coming closer to Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala such people distance farther away from Him.
– When we are hurt what words come out of our mouths? Generally, we utter swear words. We should rather say words of prayer such as, astaghfirullah or subhan’Allah. This might serve as a way to come closer to Allah.
– Our hearts can become hard overtime. Some signs besides the one listed above are unwillingness to pray extra nawafil, inability to cry or make heartfelt, long du’as. When a person senses that he should increase the recitation of the Qur’an. The more a person recites the Qur’an the softer his heart becomes. And the farther a person is from the Qur’an, the farther the person is from Allah. During recitation a person should not merely read words but reflect over the message even after closing the Qur’an.
Moreover, a person should increase the remembrance [dhikr] of Allah and sit in the company of righteous people because sitting in their company will influence the person. He will develop good habits. Finally, a person can soften his heart by being merciful or compassionate towards those weaker than him such as orphans, needy people or patients.
– If a person doesn’t change his ways after being hit by a calamity, the heart becomes hard.
– Shaytan beautifies sins for us, therefore we can’t leave them. People think it’s so cool to say swear words. A person overcome by Shaytan sees bad as good and good as bad. When we begin liking something that’s bad and disliking something that’s good then we should seek refuge from Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala.
DOWNLOAD PDF: Al Anaam Ayat 43
- The Excellence of the Followers of the Qur’an
- Daily Recitation of the Qur’an
- The Remembrance of Allah
- The Wisdom Behind Calamities