Their Hostility is Not Surprising
In Ayaat 109 and 110, we learned that the Prophet sallAllahu `alayhi wa sallam and the believers were informed that the unbelievers’ demand for miracles is not out of their yearning for truth and guidance. Rather this is the attitude of those that make excuses. Due to their rebellion and transgression they have been made to wander blindly in their misguidance.
In the current ayaat, we study how Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala comforts the Messenger sallAllahu `alayhi wa sallam against people’s hostility towards him. Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala says,
In Ayah 111, Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala says had He accepted what the unbelievers asked for by swearing with their strongest oaths they would still not have believed unless Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala willed it for them. One of the miracles mentioned in the Ayah include sending down the angels with the affirmation that indeed Muhammad sallAllahu `alayhi wa sallam is the Messenger of Allah. This was a miracle demanded by the unbelievers as we read in Surah Al-Isra Ayah 92, “…or you bring Allah and the angels before [us] face to face.”
Other miracles included speaking of the dead and gathering of all creations before them. Even if the dead return to this world to convey the truth of what the Messengers brought them or all the nations were gathered before them, one after the other, and each one testified to the truth of what the Messengers came with they would not have believed. This is because guidance is with Allah. Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala guides whom He wills and misguides whom He wills, and He does what He wills.
As studied earlier, this does not mean Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala purposely misguides people. Rather it is because of people’s disinterest in knowing Allah or finding about the truth that He leaves the in their misguidance.
Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala ends the Ayah by saying that most of them are ignorant. Ignorant of what? Ignorant of the fact that if Allah willed He would have “forced” them to believe or that the majority of the people are ignorant because no matter what they are told or shown they don’t accept the truth.
Ayaat 112 – 113 Every Prophet has Enemies
Next Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala comforts His Messenger by informing him that just like today there are enemies for him, in the past other Messengers and Prophets also had enemies from the mankind and the Shayateen. They incited other people to oppose and rebel against the Truth that was brought to them. Therefore, do not be saddened by this fact.
Something similar was said in other Ayaat as well. Such as in Surah Al-Anaam Ayah 34 we read, “Verily, Messengers were denied before you, but with patience they bore the denial and they were hurt…” In Surah Fussilat Ayah 43, it was said, “Nothing is said to you except what was said to the Messengers before you…”
When Prophet’s first wife, Khadeeja bint Khuwaylid radhiAllahu `anha took the Prophet sallAllahu `alayhi wa sallam to her cousin Waraqah ibn Nawfal he said, “None came with what you came with but he was the subject of enmity.”
From this we gather that the Prophets have had enemies among the devils of mankind and the Jinns. Ibn Katheer writes in his tafseer: The word, Shaytan used in the Ayah describes one who is dissimilar to his kind due to his or her wickedness. Indeed, only the Shayateen, may Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala humiliate and cursed them, from among mankind and the Jinns oppose the Messengers. They inspire each other with beautified, adorned speech that deceives the ignorant who hear it. Again, this happens because Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala “allowed it to happen”. It is part of His plan to test the Prophets.
“…so leave them and that which they invent,” This Ayah orders patience in the face of the harm of the wicked and to trust in Allah against their enmity, for, Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala shall suffice the Prophet and aid him against his enemies.
The word walitasgha [وَلِتَصْغَى] used in the Ayah means “incline to it” as per Ibn `Abbas’s statement. Only those that deny the Hereafter will be inclined towards the deceiving speech of the Shayateen among mankind and jinns, as was said in Surah As-Saffat Ayaat 161 – 163, “So verily, you [pagans] and those whom you worship [idols]. Cannot lead astray. Except those who are predestined to burn in Hell.”
Further, Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala said, “…and that they will be satisfied with it and that they will commit that which they are committing.” It means they are satisfied with their actions therefore let them earn whatever they are earning or let them do whatever they are doing.
– People that demand miracles are not serious. They are not going to believe. They are lying. If the moon was split before their eyes and they disbelieved, would they believe now?
– Any person that calls to Allah will definitely face opposition. It is inevitable that you call people to Allah and you are not opposed.
– Those that recognize the truth yet deny it become enemies of Prophet Muhammad sallAllahu `alayhi wa sallam.
– Sometimes the jinns inspire humans and sometimes humans inspire other humans. Negative thinking comes from the Shayateen and other people. Therefore, we should seek Allah’s refuge from the Shayateen as well as negative people as we learn in Surah an-Nas: Say, “I seek refuge in the Lord of mankind, The Sovereign of mankind. The God of mankind, From the evil of the retreating whisperer – Who whispers [evil] into the breasts of mankind – From among the jinn and mankind.” Some people are also Shayateen.
Abu Dhar radhiAllahu `anhu narrates from the Prophet sallAllahu `alayhi wa sallam that the Prophet said, “O Abu Dhar! Seek refuge with Allah from the devils of mankind and the jinn.” Abu Dhar said, “I asked him, ‘Are their human devils as well?’” And the Prophet replied, “Yes.”
– When a person faces opposition from people such that they are spreading rumors about him, then such a person should simply ignore them. It is a plot of Shaytan. Don’t even bother to respond to them. If you get tangled up in justifying yourself you won’t be able to do your work. Remember that you are in the protection of Allah if you are doing the good. Allah will take care of them.
– One should really be careful of what they are reading or listening to. There is a lot of information out there most of them being untrue beautified with fanciful words. If one starts hearing or reading all that he might get deviated from the right path. Have a filter. Don’t accept everything out there. Be really particular about his sources of information.
DOWNLOAD: al-Anaam Ayaat 111 – 113