The Book of Allah is the Authority between You
In the previous Ayaat, we studied the obstinate demands that the unbelievers placed before the Prophet sallAllahu `alayhi wa sallam. Despite having seen signs and miracles proving the truth they remained adamant. In these Ayaat, the Prophet is being told to convey to the polytheists if he should seek another judge besides Allah while Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala has sent down a Book that contains everything.
Mufti Muhammad Shafi Usmani writes in his tafseer Maroof-ul-Qur’an that this could mean: My being a Prophet has already been decided by Allah, so should I go and seek another judge besides Him when it was He Who chose me as a Prophet? The Qur’an in itself is a proof of the truth of my claim.
Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala is Hakam – the One Who always judges according to the truth. His judgment is always correct. He has sent down us a Book which contains every detail. The Book is mufassala [مُفَصَّلا]. Mufassala is from fasala which means “to separate”. Meaning each point in the Book is so detailed that I don’t need anything else. The People of the Book were informed about Qur’an being the Word of Allah and hence being true. It was said in Surah Yunus Ayah 94, “So if you are in doubt, [O Muhammad], about that which We have revealed to you, then ask those who have been reading the Scripture before you.”
Therefore, never be of the الْمُمْتَرِينَ [doubters].
As we delve deeper into the Ayah, we learn four qualities of the Qur’an:
أَنَزَلَ It has been revealed from Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala
مُفَصَّلاً All matters of principle have been given in clear details
ءَاتَيْنَـهُمُ الْكِتَـبَ يَعْلَمُونَ أَنَّهُ مُنَزَّلٌ مِّن رَّبِّكَ بِالْحَقِّ Even before the Qur’an was revealed, the People of the Book, the Jews and the Christians knew for sure that the Qur’an is true Word of Allah. [Then those that had regard for truth said so while those that were hostile opposed it.]
مُمْتَرِينَ It is perfect, miraculous, unchallenged and inimitable
Next it was said, “And the word of your Lord has been fulfilled in truth and in justice…” Qatadah commented, “In truth concerning what He stated and in justice concerning what He decided.”
Whatever Allah has said is true and He is the Most Just in what He commands. All of His statements are true, there is no doubt or cause for speculation about this fact, and all His commandments are pure justice besides which there is no justice. All that He forbade is evil for He only forbids what brings about evil consequences. None can avert Allah’s judgment. He is hearing His servants’ statements and knows all about their activities.
In Ayah 116 it was said, “And if you obey most of those upon the earth, they will mislead you from the way of Allah.” Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala states that most of the people of the earth are misguided. They rely on wishful thinking and delusions. They follow nothing but conjecture, and they do nothing but lie. Therefore, our criteria should not be what the people are doing rather we should see what Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala says.
Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala knows who has gone astray and who is on the right path.
– There are people that come and talk on religion as if they are great authorities. While talking to someone we must keep in mind what the Book of Allah says about the matter. We should not accept other people’s judgment when the Book of Allah says something else.
– At any time when there is an issue we should look at what is the Book of Allah saying about it. So often we say such and such scholar said this and that. He might be a big scholar but the Book of Allah is superior.
– No matter how much people oppose you by beautifying their speech and using false argument, don’t listen to them and never doubt what Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala has said.
– There is no one that can change the Word of Allah. If there is a commandment that is difficult for us to act upon we “cannot” change it. We have to change ourselves.
– It is not the practice of majority but it is the guidance that Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala gave that is the criteria for determining the truth. People may be using a lot of false speech however we have to make sure our religion is based on what Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala has said. Be wise.
DOWNLOAD PDF: al-Anaam Ayaat 114 – 117