June 1, 2015 by Verse By Verse Quran Study Circle
The entire month of Ramadan is a time to be spent in worship. However, the excellence of rituals performed in the last ten days has been specifically mentioned.
To encourage our family members toward acts of worship especially during the last ten days is following an established practice of the Prophet salAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam. ‘A’aisha radhiAllahu ‘anha narrated that: With the start of the last ten days of Ramadan, the Prophet salAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam used to tighten his waist belt (i.e. work hard) and used to stay awake at night, and used to wake up his family members too (for worship). [Bukhari: 2024]
In another tradition, ‘A’aisha radhiAllahu ‘anha said: He would strive (to do acts of worship) during the last ten days of Ramadan more than he would at any other time. [Muslim: 2788]
The Prophet salAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam would also wake his daughter and son-in-law for night worship. One night, Allah’s Messenger salAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam knocked on the door of Ali and Fatima radhiAllahu ‘anhum and asked, “Won’t you (stand up and) pray (at night)?” [Mujam Ibn Al-Arabi: 2332]
Things to Do:
– Spend maximum time performing acts of worship during the last ten days.
– If possible, take leave from work in order to become focused and devoted to the worship of Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala.
– Prolong standing (and recitation) as much as possible during voluntary night prayers (i.e Taraweeh and Tahajjud).
– Recite Qur’an abundantly and remember Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala
– Wake up yourself and awaken your family members for night worship.