February 4, 2016 by Verse By Verse Quran Study Circle
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
Narrated Anas radhiAllahu ‘anhu that the Prophet salAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said,
“Love for the Ansaar is a sign of faith and hatred for the Ansaar is a sign of hypocrisy.”
[Volume 1, Book 2, Number 17]
This hadeeth talks about a sign whose presence affirms that a person has faith and its absence indicates hypocrisy – this sign is love for the Ansaar. Loving the Ansaar is a part of liking someone for Allah’s sake which is also a sign that a person has tasted the sweetness of faith [Hadeeth 16]. We have neither met the Ansaar nor can we get any material benefit from them, so the only reason that we love them is for the sake of Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala.
In our previous posts we have learned that we cannot love someone unless we know them. Therefore, in order to love the Ansaar, we need to know who the Ansaar are.
Two Types of Ansaar
1. Those explicitly mentioned as Ansaar i.e. the Companions of the Prophet salAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, especially those from Madinah. Those who invited, welcomed and supported the Prophet salAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam and his followers who migrated with him to Madinah. From them too, the tribes of ‘Awz and Khazraj were the ones about whom the Prophet salAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam remarked that they preferred him and those who migrated with him, over their own selves by giving their wealth, gardens, and properties without any hesitation.
2. Ansaar is also the plural of “nasir” which means one who helps. It means those who support the Messenger salAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam and the cause of Deen. In short, all those who have the characteristics of “Ansaar ullah [helpers of Allah], whether they were before the time of Prophet Muhammad salAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, at his time or after his time. The term Ansaarullah is also used for the Hawariyyoon [disciples] of ‘Eesa ‘alayhi salaam.
We learn that Ansaar are all those who help the cause of Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala in any way and loving them is evidence of faith. How is that? When a person loves the Ansaar, he does so out of the love for Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala and His religion. This confirms his emaan [faith], and the opposite is true for he who does not love the Ansaar. It displays his lack of love for Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala and His religion. This is a sign of hypocrisy according to the hadeeth.
When a person is strong in his love for Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala and His Messenger salAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, he will love all those who obey Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala (part of obeying Allah is helping in His cause). This is also why the Prophet salAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam taught us a beautiful dua:
How can we follow/love the Ansaar?
- By following their footsteps. Because when you love someone, it shows in your actions too. You just don’t appreciate their efforts but follow them as well.
- Know the Ansaar and be able to defend and honor them.
- Read Islamic history and the sacrifices and contributions of the Ansaar in the path of Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala.