8. In Saheeh Muslim, it appears:
9. In Sunan Abu Daw’oud and at-Tirmidhi, it appears:
To be read three times when you lie down, placing your right hand under your right cheek.
10. In Saheeh Muslim:
[Al-Zaahir: Indicates the greatness of His attributes and the insignificance of every single creation in respect to His greatness and Highness, for He is above all of His creation as regards His essence and attributes. Al-Baaṭin: Indicates His awareness and knowledge of all secrets, of that which is in the hearts and the most intimate of things just as it indicates His closeness and nearness to all in a manner which befits His majesty. (duas.com)]
11. In Saheeh Muslim:
12. From Saheeh Al-Bukhari and Muslim:
From the etiquette of going to sleep, we should:
1.Be in a state of purity, from the hadeeth:
If you come to your bed (i.e. go to sleep), then perform wudhu…
2. Sleep on our right side:
…then lie down on your right side.
3. Place the right hand under the right cheek:
When he (salAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) went to sleep, he placed his right hand under his right cheek…
4. Dust the bed:
When one of you goes to bed, let him dust the bed because he does not know what comes into it before or after him.
5. Recite Surah Al-Kafiroon
From its benefits is: It frees the person from Shirk.
Imam An-Nawawi said: One should perform all that has been mentioned in this chapter. If he is unable to, then he should do as much as he can from the most important supplications mentioned.
People sleep during the day as well as the night; therefore, it is possible at those times to fulfill all of these Sunan, or at least some of them, twice, as these Sunan are not specific to sleeping at night.
On the contrary, these Sunan also include the sleep of the day, as the narrations are general.
Benefits of these Sunan when going to sleep:
- If the Muslim preserves these athkaar before sleeping, one hundred good deeds will be recorded for him.
Every Tasbeeh is sadaqah, every Takbeer is sadaqah, every Tahmeed is sadaqah and every Tahleel is sadaqah.
Imam An-Nawawi said a person gains the reward as if he has paid this amount in charity.
- If a Muslim preserves the practice of these supplications before sleeping, one hundred trees will be planted for him, in Paradise:
Messenger of Allah salAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam passed by Abu Huraira radhiAllahu ‘anhu while he was planting something and said, “O Abu Huraira! Shall I now show you a planting better than this?” He said, “Of course, O Messenger of Allah salAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam!”
He salAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said, “Say: subhanaAllahi, wal-humdu lillahi, wala ilaha illallahu, wal lahu akbar…and a tree will be planted for you in Paradise for every one you say.”
- Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala protects His servant and distances Shaytan from him for that night and he is kept safe from evil and harm.
- The servant ends his day in the remembrance of Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala, in obedience to Him, with trust on Him, seeking help from Him and affirming His Oneness.
This is what has been made easy in this compilation of the daily Sunan. We ask Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala to allow us to live according to the Sunnah of the Messenger salAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam and to die on them, (aameen).
And our last call is all praises and thanks for Allah, the Lord of the Worlds.