We are going to set five major goals for Ramadan.
A goal without a plan is just a wish.
Here are some examples for you to create your own Ramadan plan
Now, for example (you live in the West), you are at work and it is prayer time, where are you going to pray? Conference room, outside or can you go to the masjid? Make arrangements right now.
You can also plan on which Surah you are going to recite in which prayer.
Setting Our Ramadan Goals
GOAL NUMBER ONE – Fasting at the Best Level
Levels of Fasting
LEVEL ONE (Ordinary level/Bare minimum) – Not drinking or eating and refraining from fulfilling sexual desires
LEVEL TWO (Special level/Better than previous level) – Controlling one’s gaze, tongue, hands, feet, hearing, and other parts of the body from committing sinful acts
LEVEL THREE – Controlling one’s thoughts from yearning for Dunya and the thoughts that distance one from Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala.
If that’s our goal, how will we achieve it?
- Start with Suhoor (get reward for eating)
- Do Iftaar wisely (eat light, simple and nutritious food)
- Control your tongue
- Protect your ears (from gossips, back-biting)
- Don’t waste time (phone, social media, television)
- Read books (Islamic and self-development books)
- Share food with others (cook extra and share with neighbors. No iftar parties. If you want to throw one take your guests to a restaurant for iftar.)
- Control your desires (of eating and shopping in Ramadan)
- Go for Umrah (if you can afford. Because Umrah in Ramadan is like a pilgrimage with the Prophet salAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam.)
GOAL NUMBER TWO – Connecting with the Qur’an
- Recite the Qur’an
- Listen to the Tafseer of the Qur’an
- Listen to the recitation of the Qur’an
- Share what you learn (for example lessons from each Juz)
GOAL NUMBER THREE – Perfecting the Salah
- On time
- Proper wudhu
- Proper clothing
- With khushu
- Which Surahs to recite?
- Pray Sunnah and Tahajjud as well
- Offer Duha prayer after Fajr
- Don’t miss Taraweeh (if you can’t pray it in the Masjid, pray at home)
GOAL NUMBER FOUR – Making a Du’a List
- Du’as for this world and the Hereafter
- Do thikr around the clock (while cooking, commuting)
- Make istighfar (recite Syed ul Istighfaar)
- Ask whatever you want, big or small
When we in the habit of asking Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala for the smallest things, when we are hit by a calamity we will automatically go to Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala.
GOAL NUMBER FIVE – Giving Sadaqah Every Day
- Wealth (person, masjid or an Islamic institute)
- Time (clean up the mosque, organize Mushaf shelves)
Have a plan for every day and every hour.
May Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala allow us to witness the Ramadan, to make the most of it, and to excel in every area, ameen.